By Jasmine Russell
Sometimes I feel like the process of choosing a protecting partner who is right for my standards are slim to none. I don’t mind sharing with you that I have only been in two relationships in my life. I met my second friend at work and my first friend while I was attending undergraduate school. I have never considered online dating before but I am aware that many people who tried dating online and loved it. After my first friend and I ended our relationship he registered for an online dating site. He met two women online but, neither worked out.
Currently, I have a friend who is engaged to a man that she met online. They both agree that they have no “regrets meeting on a dating site for singles who are looking for a partner.” Six months within talking and getting to know each other on the app they were living together. The difference between the way my friend met her soon to be fiancé and how I met two friends are known as dating traditional and nontraditional.
Many people query if online dating is safe, secure and worth the effort and time to see a significant other to become a part of one’s life and eventually continuing a future with the person they are pursuing online. There is a possibility that someone can find real love while dating online. Online dating can enhance one’s self-esteem, wellbeing or socioeconomic standing with someone new who have something in common. However, there may be many pros and cons about virtual dating. See below:
- There are over 40 million US single users of online dating sites.
- One out of five relationships start online. Whether it’s on Social media, Facebook, Twitter, a mobile app, or traditional online dating site, there are a lot of success stories.
- You can meet people outside of your geographic area and social circle with similar interests. You’ll meet more people, so you can learn what you’re truly looking for in a date, mate, or relationship.
- Online dating sites are efficient and available 24-hours a day.
- Many sites provide matching tools and send emails of suggested matches to make it easier to view potential dates.
- Fake Profiles
- It’s a crowded digital marketplace and can be an exhausting experience.
- People lie about their age, weight, height, income, and marital status. Singles get frustrated after a few bad dates.
- Many singles limit their search criteria to height, zip code, or income and can miss the opportunity to meet a compatible match.
- Online dating sites may attract predators who are ruthless and aggressive with evil intent.
The question should be considered before considering to seek online dating partner. Is online dating versus meeting someone offline best to find the perfect date or someone to spend the rest of your life with? While experts might not agree on this topic, even offline Matchmakers are incorporating online dating and social media into their business models. The answer is clear. There are no one-size fits all formula. As each person’s relationship goals may differ from their best friends or neighbors. While there may be hook-ups to marriage proposals, there are many web sites and a way for everyone to seek a partner. Most importantly when internet dating vs traditional dating meeting someone online always remember to be safe and let someone know your whereabouts in case of emergencies.
Mashable.com (nod). Retrieved from http://mashable.com/2016/03/02/british-dating-etiquette/?utm_cid=mash-com-Tw-main-link#BS86x41.A8qf
Rudder Christian, (2015, October 2). Retrieved from
Spire Julie,(2013, October 3). Online Dating Vs. Offline Dating: Pros and Cons. Retrieved from http://www.huffingtonpost.com/julie-spira/online-dating-vs-offline-_b_4037867.html